26 June, 2009

Flooded City

Yesterday was a pretty sweet day for me. I hopped on a micro and for the second straight day I was graced with the pleasure of a musical performance during the ride. Wednesday, it was a guy playing a melodica (a type of keyboard you blow into that sounds a little like an accordion). It was really cool, and I felt like I was in a movie or something with this sweet background music as I watched the city pass by. Yesterday, a man came on and played the guitar and sang some Spanish love songs. Very relaxing and another great start to another wonderful day.

For my Social and Political themes of Chile class, I was worried it would be another difficult day, but we ended up just watching a movie about carbon mines in Southern Chile from years ago. It was really interesting, and we're going to finish it up next class.

After, we had a meeting with Macarena, one of the coordinators, about our next excursion. We're going horseback riding along the beach and she wanted to know if we wanted to do it during the day from 10-5, or at night from 7-2. I preferred the day since it would mean warmer weather, a huge barbecue, and that I'd be able to appreciate the scenary around us. Others wanted the night since we'd get a bonfire and a little food and some drinks. Although the group never did come to a decision, Macarena decided to just keep it during the day since it wasn't just one or two who didn't want it to change. I think either way would've been sweet, but I'm glad I won't have to worry about super cold weather and not enjoying it as much as I could.

Conversation and Culture class was fun, we talked about our interviews from Wednesday and I found out we'll be watching a documentary next class. Afterwards, I talked with some friends about possibly going to the mall, and then I hopped on a micro and went home.

Gabriela reheated some food for me, and I had a really good type of stew that consisted of some rice and broth, and then whole potatoes, pieces of corn, squash, and meat thrown in it. I was supposed to have a Skype date with my pelola afterwards, but she ended up having to work so after waiting around a bit, I decided to call up mis amigos so I could meet up with them at the mall.

I only live about three or four blocks from the mall, much closer than anyone else here, so I was able to walk there fairly quickly. We walked through the mall a bit but I wasn't really in need of anything so I just tagged along as my friends shopped. We did go to an open air craft market right across the street though and boy were there some cool things for sell! One really nice guy who makes things out of metal wire (I almost bought a little metal bike) was talking to us and asked us if we heard that Michael Jackson had died today. We were like, "What? Que paso?!" Ok not really, but I am pretty stoked that whenever I hear anything about Michael Jackson and his death, I'll think back to the sweet dude in Chile with dreadlocks and how he was the first person to tell me about it. Although I didn't buy the cool bike from him, I did buy a really big framed picture of Valparaíso for 4.000 pesos (less than 8 bucks)!! I for sure thought it'd be at least 10.000 but I got a steal of a deal. Unfortunately, I don't think it will fit in my bag unless I break the outer frame off of it, which I'll probably end up doing (it has two different wooden frames with a little space in between each). I was so super stoked and made sure to carry it tightly beneath my arm in case anyone tried to steal it from me on my way home.

I came home and had my normal once with tea and bread. Afterwards, I watched part of a movie and then went to bed. Nothing too special. Now, today was a different story. I woke up extremely tired and hopped into the shower and got all ready for class. Well, about a half hour before I had to leave I got a phone call from mi amiga Erin (thank goodness I gave her my number) and she told me that the main fresh water pipe for Valparaíso burst so there was water everywhere in the city and that class was cancelled for all the universities and schools. I did end up getting an email from one of the coordinators a bit later letting us know, but it came after I would've normally left so I'm glad I got that call.

Since I had no class and no real homework to do, that's about all I did, nothing. I was supposed to have another shot at my Skype date with Alyssa, but unfortunately she got called into work early so her mom emailed me letting me know. I did spend some time watching random youtube videos, I watched part of a Michael Jackson music video marathon on VH1, and I watched a movie. Very relaxing day that probably should've been spent doing something more productive.

I've decided my housekeeper has a crush on me. The first day she met me she said I have beautiful eyes. Today, she was asking me about my hair and if I'm the only one in my family with my hair color or if any of my siblings do as well. Later, she asked me why I don't dance like Michael Jackson (I think she wanted to see me in tight leather pants spinning around in circles grabbing my crotch...). Ok so maybe she doesn't have a crush on me, haha. Oh yeah, she also asked me today if I like what she does for me and if she's doing a good enough job and I was thinking to myself "you make my bed for me everyday and make me lots of really good food, what more could you do for me?" I reassured her she doesn't have to worry and that she's doing a wonderful job. What a nice lady.

Once everyone got home, we had our once and then I watched part of Roger Federer's match from today as everyone else was busy either making food or at the store. He's good, real good. Probably the best ever in my opinion. Anyways, Rodrigo was asking me about seafood and what types I don't like and told me that every Friday or Saturday, they make some good food, relax, and just treat themselves to a night together as a family. Tonight, he's making some sort of clam or oyster with the tongue of some type of seafood covered with cheese and baked in the oven. I don't know exactly what type of animals they all are since I didn't understand the names, but I'll let you know next time I post. He said I can try it if I'd like, which I figure I will, but that he'll also make up some chicken for me in case I don't like it. I love how accommidating my family is for me =)

Tomorrow morning we leave for Papudo. I'm pretty stoked about it, it'll be nice to see more of Chile (the most beautiful beach in the world according to Rodrigo). I'll be back sometime Monday afternoon since we don't have class. It's the day of Saint Peter and Saint Paul (San Pedro y San Pablo), one of their national holidays. Four day weekend this weekend since I didn't have class today, awesome! Well I think we're about ready to have our fourth meal of the day. I'll update on Monday when I get back and let you all know how things went in Papudo.

Chao amigos.