25 July, 2009

The Days Fly By

Wow, the past two days have gone by very fast. I don't know if I like it either. I think this is the true definition of feeling bittersweet about something. It's bitter because I'm leaving all of the great people I've become friends with over the past six weeks, the majority of whom I'll probably never see again since only four of us live west of Wyoming (three of us all coming from Whitworth). It's bitter because I'm leaving Chile and all of the wonderful and unique opportunities that have been available for me. And it's bitter because I have to leave my kind and loving family who have done so much to make me feel welcome. But at the same time, I don't think I have ever been so excited to see someone in my life. I'm heading to the LA area to stay with Alyssa until Thursday, and it definitely is sweet that I'll get to see her for the first time in over two months. It also is sweet that I'll get to eat something other than pan (bread) and that asking for water at a meal will be completely normal. Finally, it's sweet that I get to spend a month with my family, friends from work, and a week at camp before I head back to school for the fall. Ay caramba, the emotional roller coaster is definitely going to be an intense ride till next weekend. I'm having a great time my last week, then I have to leave everyone, but only to be with the most amazing girl in the world, who I have to leave after a few days, to arrive home to my family and friends, until I start working for hours everyday. Bah, I don't like goodbyes, I'm either not nearly as emotional as the other person or way too emotional which always makes for wonderfully awkward times. Perfect.

I'm up very late right now so I'm going to explain the past two days fairly quickly if possible.

Yesterday, made it to class on time. Watched some presentations and then a few friends asked if I wanted to go get Churillanos afterwards (french fries covered in cooked eggs, onions, and meat). I figured I might as well live a little, and so I tagged along as we walked to the place. They were amazing once again, and after I hopped on a micro and came home. I didn't do much other than relax and watch a movie. It was nice. I ended up staying up later than I should've, but whatevs I only have one more day.

Today, I woke up and Carolina the housekeeper told me to wait for her as she went out to do an errand. She came back and then came into my room and just stood there for a while attempting to make small talk. I think she was a little sad and asked if I knew when I was going to come back because she's going to miss me. I'll definitely miss having someone make my bed for me every day as well, ha. But honestly, she's super sweet and I was sad to leave for class in the morning.

In Claudio's class, all we did was go over how we felt about the trip and then he gave us our grades. He told us all our participation grades and then gave us our final grades. I ended up pulling a 5.7 or about a B+ in the class, which isn't horrible, except for the fact that everyone else in the class got above a 6. Even one of the girls who wasn't quite the greatest student got a 6, which actually really bothered me. I don't know what he had against me but whatevs, I'm done with his class for good.

After, we had a going away party with all of the staff and students from the program. I ate some good empanadas and my class also gathered the courage to ask Claudio if he'd take a picture with us. I'm definitely going to have to steal my friend David's photo to post on facebook, it's a keeper.

For Carlos' class, we walked to a local cafe to sit and talk about the end of our time. I had some great mango juice, and we just spent a good time conversing with each other. After, I hopped on a micro and went home.

I relaxed for a bit, then my mom's two brothers showed up so I went and talked with them for a while. They are fairly young, around the age of my brothers, and I really like them. I wish I could spend more time with them, they were really nice and welcoming to me both here and in Papudo.

At 8:30, a group of us were meeting at a cafe so we could all take a micro to a Blockbuster in Valparaíso. Carlos set up a final meeting time for both of his classes and any other gringos that wanted to come, and we headed to a vegitarian restaurant called EPIF. I got a BBQ tofu burrito that was actually surpringly good. I also treated myself to an eskimono, or fried bananas with ice cream. I figured it was my last night out and that I deserved it. We spent around 2 1/2 hours in this small restaurant and just enjoyed the company of each other. It was a wonderful last night and I'm really glad I went. Afterwards, we walked through the streets a little to a bar, but it was completely full of people. After awkwardly standing in the entrance for a few minutes, a group of us decided we'd rather not go to a bar and just go home instead. Unfortunately, I had to say some of my first goodbyes at this time. Since not everyone is flying out at the same time as me tomorrow, I said goodbye to a few of my greatest friends here as well as Carlos. He told me I was a great guy and that he was happy to have me in class. I definitely wont forget him, and if I'm ever on the east coast, I think I have enough contacts to find somewhere to stay, ha.

I hopped in a collectivo with two other friends, and then I walked the quiet walk to my house for the last time from the bus stop. It was sad and strange thinking that this was the last time. It really isn't going to hit me until I'm actually home in my parent's house that this chapter of my life is over. Sure I'm leaving tomorrow night, but my first week back is going to be so great since I'll be in one of my favorite places I've ever been, Southern California with my lovely Alyssa.

Luckily, my parents were still awake when I got home so I decided I'd give them my gifts now before the new exchange student comes tomorrow. I figured it'd be a little awkward for me having to say my goodbyes in front of her so I was glad I had the chance. I gave them some smoked Alaskan salmon, a deck of cards with a picture of the Columbia River on it, and then a book full of pictures from Spokane. They loved looking through the book and then told me how thankful they were that they had me and how much they hope I can come back and visit, especially with Alyssa. They said that as soon as I save up money, I need to make a trip to come back. Oh if only they knew how much I want to, yet how difficult that will be...oh well. One day I will return, no doubt in my mind.

Tomorrow is going to be sad/happy. Sad to leave, happy to arrive. It's late now though so I really should go. This is probably my last entry from Chile. I hope you all have enjoyed reading and I'll keep you updated until I'm home home. Chao chao mis amigos.