16 June, 2009

Lessons I've Learned

Since I have some time today, I've decided to share a few of the differences between here and the United States. My disclaimer: I'm very accepting of different cultures and how other countries are, so don't think that I'm complaining or calling them bad differences, I'm just informing you all in case you're interested.

Probably the biggest one for me, they don't heat their houses. They have small space heaters that I can use in my room or that we use in the living room at night, but otherwise it's just however warm it is outside. Luckily, we're on the ocean so winters don't get as cold here as they do in Spokane, but they are fairly wet. I was told it's similar to Bellingham, WA during late Spring. I've dealt with this pretty well since I prefer a cooler house to a warmer house, though my hands aren't liking it quite as much since I naturally have cold hands due to poor circulation. It makes typing a little difficult. It also was a little alarming to roll over in the morning and see my breath while lying in bed (I can still see it now).

Another big difference, the roles of women in the house. I was talking with Rodrigo (my host dad), and he told me that his job in the house is to sit, relax, and watch TV. It's up to his wife to do all the cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, etc. I tried offering to help and I've actually found it very hard not to carry my dishes over to the sink, make my own bed, etc. My host mom doesn't actually do all of the cleaning though because they have a housekeeper come and do all of the work during the day while the parents are at work. I was told that if I want anything, I just tell her what I want and she'll get it for me. It made for an interesting situation today when I said I wanted cereal and thought I was asking for some hot chocolate, but instead got Frosted Flakes in chocolate milk.

Women also don't take their husband's last name when they get married. They keep their own, and the kids get the father's last name and then the mother's, so they end up with four names. I don't quite know how it works though once a child gets married because if they kept all the names, kids would end up with many many names after a few generations. Rodrigo also asked about the US and names with women. I explained how now women are more independent and want to work in the workplace rather than be stay at home moms, which he understood. But then he asked why they still take their husband's name if they want to be so independent. I had no answer for him.

Paying for stuff is different as well. Many stores can't accept any bills higher than what equals $20 in the US, some even $10. They just don't carry as much change as US stores do.

Oh television, how interesting. So far, I don't think I've seen any TV shows other than sports that were from Chile. All they watch is US shows and movies. I've watched part of Toy Story 2, Van Helsing, and numerous shows that were just dubbed with Spanish. Many stations are dubbed with Spanish, while some are still in English but have Spanish subtitles (I find this the easiest way to learn since I can read along, though watching kid's shows and movies completely in Spanish is easy as well). They like all of the Marval comic book movies, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney movies. You name it, they've seen it.

Music is much of the same way as well. Rodrigo is a fan of Ah-Ha and Queen, Rodrigo Jr. likes Linkin Park, and Gabriella likes Backstreet Boys and the Jonas Brothers (not a fan of that last one, but she did say she can't stand Hannah Montana. Instant friendship made).

Speaking of music, this is my favorite music video right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpUWUq5O4eU I actually am a huge fan of their new album. It's old Black Eyed Peas meets Daft Punk. A nice combo that I didn't think I'd be a fan of. My other favorite video right now is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8z7f7a2Pk I so wish I could've been there to join in. Definitely laugh every time I see this.

I suddenly just got very cold. I shall be going now, I'll be eating pretty soon, then it's off to my first day of class. If you want to hear a good joke (or read I suppose), then google one because I don't feel like telling you one.

Ciao.