19 June, 2009

Rain

Dios mio, la lluvia fue muy fuerte!

I think I now understand the phrase, "When it rains, it pours". Whoever said it must've lived in Chile. The rain here was so strong and continuous today, it woke me up in the morning because of how loud it was. (I later realized it's because part of my house is only covered by a tin roof, so it was amplifying it majorly). Seattle ain't got nothin' on Chile! I'm not exaggerating when I say the streets literally had rivers flowing down them. I don't know where all of the rain was coming from, but it just rushed down every street as if it were being chased by a giant ShamWow ready to soak it all up. (Did you know that ShamWow guy was arrested for some hardcore drug use or something? Go figure) On that same note, I think we stepped on a ShamWow today to wipe our feet as we were going to one of our classes. Today was the day that the ShamWow ruled supreme in my world I guess. Anyways, the water ended up making small lagoons all over the city. Some so deep that they filled the streets, went up over the curb, and had the sidewalk under about an inch or so of water. You know all those movies and TV shows where people get splashed? So totally happened all day today. Buses and cars came flying down the streets as usual, and would splash through these lakes sending water flying ten feet up onto and over the sidewalks. Luckily I was able to avoid this unpleasant occurence, but I know it happened a lot today. I still feel like I'm drying off.

Classes were good, nothing too special happened today. I finally was able to instant message mi polola (Alyssa) today for the first time. It was good to communicate (and by communicate I mean more than an email or facebook post) with someone from back home.

My family and I all played the Scattergories type game tonight. It was super fun, even though I did horrible. I did manage to beat my mom though =) I found out I do not know any fruits/vegetables or animals/birds. The whole time Rodrigo kept hiding his answers and changing them at the last minute, and I dont know why but I found it hilarious! The family was laughing so much and I really enjoyed my time.

Oh, that brings me to my final and happiest point thus far from Chile. Before we began playing, Rodrigo was asking me how the other ISEP students' families were and if they had any problems. I said no since as far as I know everyone has super awesome host families. But then he continued to tell me how happy they are because they got such a great student to host. They were worried that I wouldn't get along with them, or that I wouldn't be willing to change how I live to how they live, or that I just wouldn't be a nice person. But he said I'm very relaxed, super nice, intelligent, and that they couldn't have asked for a better person to host. They also are really appreciative that I've gotten accustomed to how they live so quickly. It was really nice to hear, and I'm so glad I got such an awesome family. He already is introducing me as his son to people I've met =) It's wonderful.

And I'll leave you on that happy note since I need to sleep now. Buenas noches mis amigos.