16 June, 2009

My Hands Are Cold

Today I saw my favorite thing so far. Everywhere you look, they have English names for places such as "Homecenter", "Express", or "Easy". They're usually big shopping centers but there are quite a few smaller shops as well. Well I was driving along today with Rodrigo, and I don't know if it was a bar, restaurant, or what, but the name of it was Helen Keller. Priceless. I really want to get a picture of it. I don't think they even know who she was, I'll have to ask next time we drive by.

Also, my Conversation and Culture professor is awesome. He is super funny and really nice and welcoming to all of us. It's a class with only ISEP students so there aren't very many of us and if we have a problem, he said his room is safe and secure for us and that we can relax. But one of the coolest things he told us is that he has some friends who are really nice, and have agreed to put on a four week workshop for us about the graffiti in Valparaiso. It's everywhere, but it's not tagging like in the US. The first week we'll learn about it, the second we'll tour the city and check out cool places, the third we'll watch them graffiti, and the final week we'll get to do our own. I'm super stoked =)

Another exciting opportunity, Gabriella is studying English and so she talked with her teacher today and asked if I would be allowed to come to her class sometime and the teacher said I'm welcome at any time. My family was really cautious though and said I wouldn't have to if I didn't want to, but I'm super stoked for that as well! It'll be cool to be that visitor in class who actually is from a country where the language you're learning is spoken.

Final thought for now, I love it here. My family told me I'm welcome anytime I want in the future, preferably during their summer so I can experience warmer weather. They also said I'm allowed to bring my family or my girlfriend. All I need to do is call them or email them and they'll even come pick me up from the airport. Simply wonderful.