03 July, 2009

Hi Mom

My mom told me she reads my blog. I thought I'd say hi since she may be the only one who does.

Yesterday was a bad-good day. It was bad because I can't stand my first professor. It was good because I love my second professor.

My first professor is a history professor at the University I believe, and let me just say that I know nothing compared to the history professors at Whitworth. So when my professor here is standing in the classroom asking us why we don't know who Touqeville, Max Weber, and about 30 other people are, he should realize that I certainly would not know as much as a history professor from Chile does. And I don't care if he got up and went to school at 4 AM every morning to read for hours before classes started. I didn't. He shouldn't be so surprised that hey, American school systems aren't quite as difficult as most. He just bothers me. I'm counting down the days till the end of that class, no doubt.

My other professor is wonderful though. Class was alright, but afterwards we had our second week of the graffiti workshop, and we were to walk through the city checking out various works. His friend Charquipunk led us up many hills, through small passageways, up and down staircases, and finally concluded with probably the biggest and greatest work he and his friends have done so far. It is absolutely amazing what they were able to do. I'll upload the photos from the day later onto my facebook. It was a tiring day, but I'm really excited to see him work next week.

After, I hopped onto a micro and headed home to eat. My nights are getting less and less exciting these days. My family likes watching TV while eating dinner, and then they usually sit at the table and just keep watching as I awkwardly sit there wondering if I can excuse myself or not. Once they do get up, they either just sit down on the couch and continue watching, or everyone goes to their rooms to watch TV. It makes it difficult to not sit on the computer browsing the internet since I'm not much of a TV watcher...but what can you do right? Unfortunately it gets dark so early here (thanks winter), so I never really feel like going out and wandering around since I may get mugged. Luckily my afternoons are usually pretty busy though so by the time I get back and eat, I only have a couple hours before bed time.

Fun fact: Swine Flu is alive and well here. So much so that one of the other students from ISEP has a certificate to prove it. I guess she was taken in to see a doctor and if you have it, they give you a certificate. Now that'd be something to show your grandchildren! I'm alive and well though, and I never see her so I'm not worried. It's not killing anyone here, just giving them the flu with a cool name. I always find it a little unnecessary though when people hop onto a micro wearing those surgeon masks. If we were in America I'd say "Hey, which of us are you gonna operate on?" then I'd run off the bus jumping and laughing....muahahaha.

Yeah I'm bored. I need to find a way to exchange my 5.000 peso bill for something smaller before I try riding the micro. I'm afraid they wont accept it. Chao amigos y madre.