04 July, 2009

A Wonderful Day

Today was a wonderful day. I was a little worried when I woke up since I had a lot of things on my mind, but everything managed to work itself out.

When I was about to leave, I told Carolina the house keeper that I only had a 5.000 peso bill and so she took off and returned shortly with two 1.000 bills and five 500 coins (I dont know where the other 500 went but I was in too much of a hurry to worry).

First class was not very fun, again. Our professor is so professional that he apologized for wearing jeans. He then proceeded to tell a girl to not say "Ok" anymore because she unknowingly says it most times when she begins speaking (sort of like how some people say like or um all the time). I was literally shocked. Who does this man think he is? My friend David and I were talking and he said he'd love to ask him to use equations to prove the effects of magnetism, or something like that (he's an engineer major). It was funny, but I totally understood his point. History is not our subject, and he shouldn't expect us to be masters at it. It took him an hour today to explain one concept that I'm still not quite positive about.

After class, things started to improve greatly. I had two sweet hamburgers for lunch, or at least the Chilean version of a hamburger (bread, burger, cheese). Then I headed to Carlos' class to give my presentation on the band Los Prisioneros. I was a little nervous since I didn't feel too prepared, but it went fairly smoothly and it was really relaxed.

Some of the other students were talking about going to a restaurant Carlos had suggested to get some really good food. Later, the University was putting on a free movie night and Gran Torino was playing. We decided to meet up later and head to the restaurant. I had enough time beforehand to get online and chat with Alyssa for a bit. It was nice to communicate with her for only like the 4th time. Man am I excited to see her when I leave...

At 4:30, we met up and decided to walk the 8 blocks or so to get to the restaurant. It was at the end of a dark alley and had we not known about where to go, we never would've thought to go down it. Inside, the entire place was covered with artifacts and pictures and notes. I guess people can write or put whatever they want up, it was cool. My compaƱeros all ordered beers that were supposedly some of the best they've had since arriving, and I also had one of the best drinks since I've arrived, water. They just never drink water here, it's so weird. It's either juice, tea, or alcohol. Coffee does exist, but generally only instant coffee. The juice is amazing, especially the peach. I'm definitely bringing back a liter or two of the Watt's peach juice. The tea is great, the British brought it over long ago when they were living here. And the alcohol, I couldn't tell you. My water came in a glass bottle though, and I had to specify that I wanted it without gas (a.k.a. I didn't want sparkling water, just regular). For our main meal, three of us shared (I can't remember the name), but it consisted of a large platter of french fries, covered with eggs, onions, and pieces of steak. It sounds weird, but it was delicious. Even more so since I haven't had papas fritas (french fries) since arriving. An added bonus of the meal was that I was finally able to get rid of my 20.000 peso bill. It's about $36, but they just don't have change here to give to people. Altogether, for five people to eat, get drinks, and give a 10% tip, it was about $40. Definitely cheaper than in the US.

One our way back to the school, I got myself some ice cream. Two scoops of pineapple and something cream for only 850 pesos (~$1.50). I can't believe ice cream costs so much back home, it's ridiculous.

We arrived back at the University and found the theater fairly easily. The theater is actually really nice, and even has a balcony with more seats (the seats were very comfortable). I wish I had my camera to show what it looked like, it was really cool. The man running the film welcomed us when we came in and gave us a pack of some postcards with various films on them that have been played over the years at the theater. Although I had already seen Gran Torino in the past, I knew it was good and was definitely up for seeing it again. Clint Eastwood is just awesome in the movie, his growling just adds so much more to it. Definitely one of my favorite movies. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it (be warned, he is supposed to be a retired war vet who is fairly racist so if you aren't down with that, then I'd pass on the movie). The greatest part of the night was that we got to see it for free. Every Friday night they show a movie, then on Saturday they have two showings of family movies. It's really cool, and as long as you're enrolled at the University it's free.

After the movie, I hopped on a micro and headed home. After talking with my family for a bit, Spanglish started on TV (the movie starring Adam Sandler from a few years ago). I had never seen it before but seeing as how I'm in Chile right now, I enjoyed it a lot more than I probably would have otherwise. It was a little confusing at times though since it was in English and had Spanish subtitles, except at times they would speak in Spanish in the movie and so they wouldn't put the subtitles up, and then sometimes I couldn't quite hear what they were saying so I was trying to read the subtitles. It was a mess, but I really enjoyed the movie.

It was a very nice day and I'm glad I finally was able to do something other than just sit at my house after class. Tomorrow I'm going horse back riding for three hours and then we're having a big barbecue. I'm a little worried since it's supposed to rain, but who cares, it'll be a good way to spend the 4th. I also got an email advertising a 'Merica celebration on the rooftop of some bar tomorrow night with all English music. Speaking of 'Merica, today in my culture class my professor was asking the one girl from Canada about her Independence Day (it was the 1st), and I blurted out "MaƱana 'Merica!" I think all of us gringos are going to try and do something to celebrate being 'Merican tomorrow after the excursion. I'm down for anything as long as it doesn't just involve going to a bar or something like that, that just aint my thing.

Well I have to get up early tomorrow. Today was great, in case you couldn't tell. Hope tomorrow goes just as well. It shall we swell. Alright that's enough, chao amigos.